Sunday, June 19, 2011

American Idol vs. The Voice


Emmy Award-winning AMERICAN IDOL is created and executive-produced by Simon Fuller and executive-produced by Cecile Frot-Coutaz, CEO, FremantleMedia North America, Inc.; Ken Warwick, Executive Producer, FremantleMedia North America, Inc.; and Nigel Lythgoe, President, Big Red 2 Entertainment. AMERICAN IDOL has been No. 1 among Adults 18-49 for the past seven consecutive seasons and currently ranks as the No. 1 television show of the 2010-11 season.

 


"The Voice" is a vocal competition series modeled after Holland's top-rated vocal talent discovery show, "The Voice of Holland." Hosted by Carson Daly, the show features four musician coaches: Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton, who will coach only the most talented vocalists.



As a musician, being patient for your "time" to come is immensely difficult.  If you're not industry savvy, you don't know where to start, who to talk to; overall what you should be doing to prepare for a professional career in music.  So what do all these talented and talentless dreamers do?  They audition for a show that allows them the opportunity to compete for a record deal.  Those with no talent, get their 15 minutes of fame, while the rest us hope and pray that they choose us to move forward.

For the last ten years, American Idol, has been the show that encompasses this opportunity.  I recall watching the first season as a freshman in High School.  I was so mesmerized by singers Kelly Clarkson and Tamyra Gray and crying, due to hysterical laughter at those who believed they could really sing.  They couldn't.  After a few seasons, it felt like they began moving into an image direction.  You not only had to have the talent, but you had to have the image too. Majority of the Idol contestants sing well, but there were times that I was shocked at the Judges/America's choices on who stayed and who was eliminated. Nikki McKibbin and Justin Guarini over Tamyra Gray in season 1 or Jordin Sparks, who is talented in her own right, over Melinda Doolittle in season 6.  These choices did not make sense to me.

Now, something new has generated.  NBC may have actually found a niche with The Voice.  NBC has created a show where initially, the judge does not know what the artists look like.  The judges choose these artists based on their talent, their voice.  Finally, America is exposed to a show that is based on the instrument and not the person behind it.  Although I know my path is music, I do not feel that auditioning for The Voice or any other show, is my way to get there.  However, I'm thankful for opportunities like these because it gives me hope.  I've reiterated many times throughout my blogs that I'm not a cookie cutter image of the "ideal" artist, but I do have the talent.  I'm continuously striving to improve my musicianship and absorb any and all information that will help me get to my goals.  I'm just hoping they'll be able to look past the outer shell. 


No comments:

Post a Comment