Sunday, October 16, 2011

Putting together a Press Kit...


What do you mean I have to put together a Press Kit?

I’ve been pursuing my dream of music for seven years and yet I still feel like I am learning something new every day.  Currently, I am taking my ninth class in my Master’s program, Entertainment Media and Distribution.  So far, this is the most intriguing class to date.  I don’t know much about distribution and what needs to take place to get your work ready for that kind of process.

Last week, I was assigned a project to create a press kit.  I was extremely intimidated by this assignment.  I had heard the term press kit but I never really knew what it actually entailed.  I had never written my own bio or put all of my musical achievements into one source.  Anxiety started to seep in…

Crafting an attractive and informative press kit is a whole new beast in the digital era.” –Donnelly, 2010

During my research of putting together a decent press kit, I came across an article by Tim Donnelly for Inc.  He stated exactly what I had discovered, “the meaning of the phrase press kit is evolving.  To me, press kits are an elaborate and/or creative resume.  An ideal press kit, involves highlighting your successes as a musician but also short enough to keep the attention of whoever is considering your talent.

Donnelly goes on to discuss, always have your press kit available to present at a moment’s notice.  Flash drive, email your link or have paper copies on hand.  Make sure you are using the most efficient format of distribution for your “brand.”  Between this article and the online session with my instructor, I really feel I grasped the concept of the press kit.  Although, I received full credit for my project, I’m excited to expand upon the kit.

Sounds like the start of something big…

No comments:

Post a Comment