Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Music Piracy: The Fan-Musician Dilemma


Amazon Cloud Drive is your personal hard drive in the cloud. Store your music, videos, photos, and documents on Amazon's secure servers. All you need is a web browser to upload, download, and access your files from any computer.



“The end of an era…”—Wired Magazine

According to The American Lawyer, the music industry has a new threat to tackle.  Amazon, Inc., Apple, Inc. and Google, Inc. have all launched a “music-locker” service that allows music users to compile their extensive music files into one database.  This allows for access to your music anywhere at any time.  Although this creates a convenience factor for the music lover, Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) feels this is just another form of copyright infringement.

Since the start of music being recorded, piracy has been an issue. 

As technology improves and moves beyond the expectations of society, music and any other media becomes that much easier to make a copy.  I have mixed feelings about this ongoing issue with piracy.  I am very eclectic when it comes to music.  Just my iPod alone contains over 3GB of music, which amounts to almost 48 hours of playing time.  I am in love with quality music.  I cannot imagine my day without, listening to music, playing an instrument or singing a song.  Having the opportunity to compile all the music that I own (outside of my iPod) in one place is very appealing.  However, when compiling your music on a computer or memory card (phone), it does make it that much easier to “share” music with others.  This is where the mixed feelings come into play.

I am a musician and I someday hope to make my music a paid profession.  I will always be flattered and appreciative of those whom enjoy my work, but if performing and making music is going to be my livelihood, sharing music takes money out of my pocket.  Even now I sing for free, but I also have a full-time 9-5 job that takes care of my bills.  The question becomes, how do you balance being a musician and a fan?


No comments:

Post a Comment